Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Thinking a bit more GREEN (an article on living the way I do)


Alright, something dawned on me as I was pondering what I could do to live more "green".

I thought I could just be using food tat I have grown, well, I do that and it's a bit limited because of the season. So I need to start canning, just not freezing things.

Then I had another revelation. I have been living the concept for years. I mean way back when I got my drivers license kind of years.
Getting my drivers license was like personal freedom. I could go to garage sales. I could gather and amass whatever I could get into my vehicle. I gathered yearly in the beginning and had sales of my own. I learned to take what I had and make a profit with it in one feel swoop.

Think about it, garage sales are sort of like selective recycling. I look around my house and try to find new furniture- well, it's new to me. Dishes? Found in a thrift shop. Glasses? Goodwill and other thrift shops. Tables, lamps, chairs, bed frames, more lamps, benches, vases, mirrors, objects and plant stands. Trash baskets, book cases, end tables. They all are used and I am reusing them.
I seem to have new kitchen things as I don't care for used spatulas and wooden spoons. I have pans that I have purchased, but all my cast iron is second hand.

Bedding and towels I buy new as well. I am not into used towels.

Books, most of them are second hand as well. DVDs- used. CDs- used.
I do not subscribe to newspapers, I borrow magazines or check them out of the library- for a treat from time to time I 'treat' myself to some publication. I am not big on paper towels, the one role I own is maybe 5 years old and kept in a drawer. Napkins are cloth, dish and bar towels are aplenty.

Even the house- I am wanting to move in a small Victorian cottage- think about it. When it comes time to fix the old girl up, yeah, I will use low VOC paints. I will look at more sustainable material. I will not feel bad that I slaughtered hundreds of trees to build my house. I will try to save as much of the material that I can. I will restore the floors. They are wood on both levels.

Tiles, vintage light fixtures, wool carpets and things to hang on the wall.

I will not stop buying things the way I have. I can always have my own garage sale and let someone else enjoy that I have used and no longer wish to live with.

3 comments:

  1. your postoperative care is complimented by a visit on the pure beaches and pure forests of Panama.
    These tips are so true
    British original art

    ReplyDelete
  2. pg slot เว็บใหม่ พวกเราเป็นเว็บไซต์สล็อต ไม่ผ่านเอเย่นต์ ที่คนนิยมเล่นมากที่สุด จะต้องชูให้เว็บไซต์ PG-SLOT.GAME ยืน 1 เว็บไซต์ตรง pg slot วันนี้พวกเราอัปเดตเว็บไซต์ใหม่

    ReplyDelete
  3. สล็อต 2xbet ถ้าหากคุณอยากเดินทางเกมสล็อตออนไลน์ รวมทั้งต้องการให้โอกาสให้สำหรับตัวคุณเองได้ๆ และก็จังหวะความมั่งมี ในแบบอย่างออนไลน์ pgslot เว็บของพวกเราเงินรางวัลเยอะมาก

    ReplyDelete