Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Your Grandmother's Salt Cedar


Now some of you are going to love this shrub while other claim that it is a noxious weed.

Tamarix ramosissima 'Pink Cascade'

I personally love the softness in texture and the hardiness (zone 3a.)
I also like the fact that they can be rather rapid growers.

Pink masses blooming along the stem give what is refered to by most an ostrich 'plume' effect. Its a rather open and airy shrub and I would almost call it cloud like when in in bloom-a cloud made of cotton candy that is.

Spectacular when in bloom! Foliage is soft and feathery to the touch.
I have been asked at times what type of Juniper this is? Or what type of evergreen is it?

I have seen trunks on this shrub that make it look like old trees, maybe 18 inches in diameter. I would recommend letting it grow for three to five years after you plant it and then coppice the shrub in late winter every other year after that initial coppicing. This should improve the flowering display and keep the growth habit in check. An interesting addition in the perennial border for sure.

I don't seem to see this shrub around in many nurseries. I have sold this in the past and it went pretty fast even in the #1 pots it was in.

No comments:

Post a Comment